of St Nicolas's Cathedral and view up St Nicolas's Street,
the castle keep. Valentines real photograph postcard - date
||The same scene in July
of the Old Castle (background) and Black Gate (foreground).
and publisher unknown but bears the enscriptin "PRINTED IN SAXONY".
||From the same viewpoint
in July 2007.
showing Grey Street, with Greys Monument in the background and the
portico of The Theatre Royal to the right.
date and publisher unknown.
||Photograph taken in 2007
from approximately the same viewpoint.
|Postcard showing the
Stephenson Monument approx. 1900 (posted 1905). St John's Church is
visible behind the monument.
||Photograph from a
similar position in 2007.
showing Newcastle and Gatehead from the observation platform on Greys
Monument. Published in the Mason's Alpha series. Date
unknown but from cars on Grey Street, could be 1950's.
||Photograph from the same location. taken March 2010. It is possible to arrange a visit to the monument via the Newcastle tourist informatin office, but there is a considerable waiting list.
|Postcard of Collingwood Street, Newcastle, postmarked June 24th., 1904.
The main building in the centre was Barclay's Bank, and the building under construction on the right is the Sun Alliance Insurance building, which indeed opened in 1904.
|A photograph from a similar position, taken in January 2012.
Along with many old buildings in Newcastle, the old Barclay's Bank building is now a nightclub.
|Another postcard of Collingwood street, this time postmarked Sept. 9th, 1906. This time the Sun Alliance building is complete.||A photograph taken from a similar location in Janury 2012.|
|A postcard with a view of the Stephenson Monument from a different direction to the one earlier on this page. This one shows the old offices of the Newcastle Chronicle and the premises of Emley & Sons, monumental sculptors and marble masons, which was active in Newcastle between 1890 and 1920. Postmarked March 22nd., 1904, the card was published in the Newcastle Chronicle series.||A photograph taken from a similar viewpoint in January 2012.
The three buildings behind the monument were demolished, presumably to make way for the notorious Westgate House, which was built in the 1960's and which itself has now been demolished.
|A postcard of the Quayside at Newcastle, including four bridges over the Tyne. Posted in January 1962 and published by E.T.W. Dennis & Sons, London & Scarborough||A photograph taken from a similar position in January 2012.|